Family Worker: Nicky Cullen – 07788 474241
I am your family worker here at William Austin Infant School and I am able to provide advice, support and guidance to families and children in whatever way I can. By working in partnership with families, I aim to engage, encourage and motivate families to improve the outcomes of their children by providing a vital link between home and school.
This is done through developing activities on things that are important to our families and children. Throughout the school year we hold many events in the Family Room which we actively encourage you to come and join in with.
My role includes:
- Organising a range of activities from drop-ins to adult learning courses (see timetable). We hold family learning courses for each year group to support literacy and numeracy alongside Luton Adult Community Learning; these are aimed at adult family members that would like to improve their skills and qualifications whilst gaining knowledge on how to support their child’s learning. There is an opportunity for those who attend these courses to further their education and gain a nationally recognised qualification. As a school we like to look after our families so we run activities such as ‘Discovering Your Inner Strength’ and Parenting groups .
- Stay & Play (currently suspended) – This is held on a Wednesday morning 9.00 -10.30 a.m. in the Family Room. It is an informal session for adults and younger children. There is a small charge of £1 per family to help pay for resources and snacks. We hope to start an additional stay and play session if there is a demand, so please do let us know your thoughts on this so we can arrange something that is suitable for all.
- Providing one to one support to individual families – This support is tailored to the family’s individual needs and can include parenting advice, attendance support and signposting onto different agencies for specialist advice. If needed, further support can be offered to make contact with these agencies.
- Referrals to our school nurse, children’s centres and foodbank depots for those families who need specialist advice and help.
- Home visiting.
- Listening to parents/carers’ views and opinions.
- 1:1 sessions for parents and their child in the school with a Family Worker which can involve help with social skills.
- Support can also be given to parents in ways such as: attending appointments with professional bodies (council, medical, legal services).
- Family Seal programme – This programme runs over 3 weeks for one hour each week, and is attended by a parent and their child within the school setting.
- Providing family facing activities – In the past families have enjoyed trips to DisneyLand Paris, Blackpool Illuminations and Warwick Castle, as well as our annual seaside trip to places like Brighton and Clacton. Last year we went on trips to the theatre and Southend on Sea. Other trips will be organised too, so look out for the letters coming home to promote these outings.
- Fundraising– We often support local, national and international charities by our fundraising efforts. Please come along and support us. We will let you know when these will be taking place by sending letters home with your child.
I can also help you complete online application forms for Free School Meals and Pupil Premium applications. Alternatively you can click on the link below.
The Family Room is located at the front of the school on Culverhouse Road near the Year R playground. Please call at the school office and ask to speak to me if you need assistance in any way.