We are offering a range of free online ‘Understanding your Child’ courses that you can access from home on your laptops and computers. There are a number of courses to choose from ranging from Pregnancy and Birth, right through to understanding your child’s teenage years.
However, if you do not have access to a laptop, computer or the internet at home, we are holding sessions in the Family Room every Tuesday at 9.00am – 10.00am, where you will be able to use a laptop in school. These sessions will allow you to go through the course at your own pace and Miss Kausar will be there to assist and support you if need be.
To access this free course please follow the following steps:
- Type in ‘www.inourplace.co.uk’
- Click on the option ‘Start now: Buy courses or apply code’
- Choose the course that will be most beneficial to you
- Write the code ‘HATTERS’ and click ‘Apply Code’
- Fill out the details and an email will be sent to you
- Go onto your emails and click on the link given.
- You are then ready to start the course.
Family Worker: Nicky Cullen – 07788 474241
Family Worker Assistant: Aliyyah Kausar – 07788 454940
We are your family workers here at William Austin Infant School and we are able to provide advice, support and guidance to families and children in whatever way we can. By working in partnership with families, we aim to engage, encourage and motivate families to improve the outcomes of their children by providing a vital link between home and school.
This is done through developing activities on things that are important to our families and children. Throughout the school year we hold many events in the Family Room which we actively encourage you to come and join in with.
Our role includes:
- Organising a range of activities from drop-ins to adult learning courses (see timetable). We hold family learning courses for each year group to support literacy and numeracy alongside Luton Adult Community Learning; these are aimed at adult family members that would like to improve their skills and qualifications whilst gaining knowledge on how to support their child’s learning. There is an opportunity for those who attend these courses to further their education and gain a nationally recognised qualification. As a school we like to look after our families so we run activities such as ‘Discovering Your Inner Strength’ and Parenting groups .
- Learning Log workshops – Across the three year groups; Year R, Year 1, Year 2, we provide and aim to help parents understand their child’s homework for the week so they can help them with it at home.
- Stay & Play – This is held on a Wednesday morning 9.00 -10.30 a.m. in the Family Room. It is an informal session for adults and younger children. There is a small charge of £1 per family to help pay for resources and snacks. We hope to start an additional stay and play session if there is a demand, so please do let us know your thoughts on this so we can arrange something that is suitable for all.
- Providing one to one support to individual families – This support is tailored to the family’s individual needs and can include parenting advice, attendance support and signposting onto different agencies for specialist advice. If needed, further support can be offered to make contact with these agencies.
- Referrals to our school nurse, children’s centres and foodbank depots for those families who need specialist advice and help.
- Home visiting.
- Listening to parents/carers’ views and opinions.
- 1:1 sessions for parents and their child in the school with a Family Worker which can involve help with social skills.
- Support can also be given to parents in ways such as: attending appointments with professional bodies (council, medical, legal services).
- Family Seal programme – This programme runs over 3 weeks for one hour each week, and is attended by a parent and their child within the school setting.
- Providing family facing activities – In the past families have enjoyed trips to DisneyLand Paris, Blackpool Illuminations and Warwick Castle, as well as our annual seaside trip to places like Brighton and Clacton. Last year we went on trips to the theatre and Southend on Sea. This year we look forward to taking families to the seaside again. Other trips will be organised too, so look out for the letters coming home to promote these outings.
- Fundraising– We often support local, national and international charities by our fundraising efforts. Please come along and support us. We will let you know when these will be taking place by sending letters home with your child.
We can also help you complete online application forms for Free School Meals and Pupil Premium applications. Alternatively you can click on the link below.
The Family Room is located at the front of the school on Culverhouse Road near the Year R playground. You are welcome to knock on our door, but if the gates are locked call at the school office and ask to speak to one of us.
Courses and Activities we provide 2019-20
If you would like to find out more about our activities or speak to us about anything, we can be contacted on the school number 01582 595198 or by mobile.
Nicky Cullen – 07788 474241
Aliyyah Kausar – 07788 454940