Family Worker; Nicky Cullen – 07788474241
Family Worker Assistant; Aliyyah Kausar – 07788454940
Here at William Austin Infant School we have two Family Workers on site that are able to provide advice, support and guidance to families and children in whatever way they can. By working in partnership with families, Nicky and Aliyyah aim to engage, encourage and motivate families to improve the outcomes of their children by providing a vital link between home and school.
They do this through developing activities on things that are important to our families and children. Throughout the school year we hold many events in the Family Room which we actively encourage you to come and join in with your child’s learning.
Our role includes:
- Organising a range of activities from drop-ins to adult learning courses (see timetable). We hold three family learning courses across the school to support literacy and numeracy alongside Luton Adult Community Learning; these are aimed at adult family members that would like to improve their skills and qualifications whilst gaining knowledge on how to support their child’s learning. There is an opportunity for those who attend these courses to further their education and gain a nationally recognised qualification. As a school we like to look after our families so we run activities such as ‘Discovering Your Inner Strength’ and Pilates sessions.
- Learning Log workshops – Across the three year groups; Year R, Year 1, Year 2, we provide and aim to help parents understand their child’s homework for the week so they can help them with it at home.
- Stay & Play – This is held on a Wednesday morning 9.00 -10.30 a.m. in the Family Room. It is an informal session for adults and younger children. There is a small charge of £1 per family to help pay for resources and snack. We hope to start an additional stay and play session if there is a demand, so please do let us know your thoughts on this so we can arrange something that is suitable for all.
- Providing one to one support to individual families – This support is tailored to the family’s individual needs and can include parenting advice, attendance support and signposting onto different agencies for specialist advice. If needed, further support can be offered to make contact with these agencies.
- Referrals to our school nurse, children’s centres and foodbank depots for those families who need specialist advice and help.
- Home visiting.
- Listening to parents/carers’ views and opinions.
- 1:1 sessions for parents and their child in the school with a Family Worker which can involve help with social skills.
- Family Seal programme – This is a four week programme held once a week for one hour with parent and child.
- Providing family facing activities – In the past families have enjoyed trips to DisneyLand Paris and annual seaside trip to Southend-On-Sea. Last year we went on trips such as the theatre, bowling, Warwick Castle and Clacton. This year we look forward to taking families to Brighton.
- Coffee Mornings – We often support local, national and international charities by fundraising at coffee mornings. Why not come along and join us for a cup of tea, biscuit and cake. We will let you know when these will be taking place by sending letters home with your child.
- Online application support – Application forms can often be difficult to understand and confusing to fill out so as Family Workers we offer support to fill out certain forms such as free school meals, admission forms for children starting school in our Reception Year and the transfer to Junior school form (Year 2 to Year 3). Alternatively you can use the link below to apply for free school meals
The Family Room can be found at the front of the school near the Foundation Stage playground. You are welcome to knock on our door, or go to the school reception and ask to speak to one of us.
If you would like to find out more about our activities or speak to us about anything, we can be contacted on the school number 01582 595198 or by mobile.
Nicky Cullen – 07788474241
Aliyyah Kausar – 07788454940